MONTHLY PICK – NON-FICTION
In 1921, Françoise Frenkel – a Jewish woman from Poland – opens her first bookshop in Berlin. It is a dream come true. The dream lasts nearly two decades. Then suddenly, it ends.
It ends after police confiscations and the Night of Broken Glass, as Jewish shops and businesses are smashed to pieces. It ends when no one protests. So Françoise flees to France, just weeks before war breaks out.
In Paris, on the wireless and in the newspapers, horror has made itself at home. When the city is bombed, Françoise seeks refuge in Avignon, then Nice. She fears she may never see her family again. Nice is awash with refugees and terrible suffering; children are torn from their parents; mothers throw themselves under buses. Horrified by what she sees, Françoise goes into hiding. She survives only because strangers risk their lives to protect her.
Set against the romantic landscapes of Southern France, No Place to Lay One’s Head is a heartbreaking tale of human cruelty and unending kindness; of a woman whose lust for life refuses to leave her, even in her darkest hours.
Publisher: Pushkin Press
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a NB competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The closing date for this competition is February 28th, and NB reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 10, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as NB may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the NB editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 10, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- NB reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- NB will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
Love Free Books?
Why not subscribe to our magazine?
Each issue we recommend four books that we think you will love. We give you a thorough introduction with interviews, reviews and exclusive extracts and, most excitingly, these books are available to all UK subscribers to have for FREE! All we ask is you pay the postage and package.