MONTHLY PICK – NON-FICTION
I can still feel, as if it were yesterday, the excitement of my first Channel crossing (as a child of nearly 7) in September 1936; the regiment of porters, smelling asphyxiatingly of garlic in their blue-green blousons; the raucous sound all around me of spoken French; the immense fields of Normandy strangely devoid of hedges; then the Gare du Nord at twilight, the policemen with theirképis and their little snow-white batons; and my first sight of the Eiffel Tower…This book is written in the belief that the average English-speaking man or woman has remarkably little knowledge of French history. We may know a bit about Napoleon or Joan of Arc or Louis XIV, but for most of us that’s about it. In my own three schools we were taught only about the battles we won: Crécy and Poitiers, Agincourt and Waterloo. The rest was silence. So here is my attempt to fill in the blanks…
John Julius Norwich (at 88) has finally written the book he always wanted to write, the extremely colourful story of the country he loves best.
From frowning Roman generals and belligerent Gallic chieftains, to Charlemagne (hated by generations of French children taught that he invented schools) through Marie Antoinette and the storming of the Bastille to Vichy, the Resistance and beyond, FRANCE is packed with heroes and villains, adventures and battles, romance and revolution. Full of memorable stories and racy anecdotes, this is the perfect introduction to the country that has inspired the rest of the world to live, dress, eat — and love better.
Publisher: John Murray
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a NB competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The closing date for this competition is April 30th, and NB reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 10, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as NB may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the NB editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 10, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- NB reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- NB will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
Love Free Books?
Why not subscribe to our magazine?
Each issue we recommend four books that we think you will love. We give you a thorough introduction with interviews, reviews and exclusive extracts and, most excitingly, these books are available to all UK subscribers to have for FREE! All we ask is you pay the postage and package.