MONTHLY PICK – NON-FICTION
How is the weather where you are? And how did it get that way? How does the great complex global interaction of ice, ocean, and atmosphere combine to generate the rain that sustains us? And who figured all its secret processes out?
In Waters of the World, Sarah Dry explains all. This is the history from the mid-nineteenth century onward of our developing understanding of how the weather grows, lives, and dies. It tells the story of the several remarkable individuals who worked on their corner of the weather puzzle and then, together, cumulatively, gave us a joined-up working theory of the life-cycle of our planet’s climate.
We now call that study climate science, and in recent years it has become the terrain of great passions, anxieties, and warnings. No less than the object of its study, climate science is and always has been evolving, and it is crucial to understand its origins, the work of its pioneering and often outspoken innovators, and how wild theories turned into scientific orthodoxies. Here are the stories of water in our world that those pioneers told, having made amazing real and imaginative voyages in order to bring back for us a whole wet new truth.
Publisher: Scribe UK
Enter our competition to win a copy below!
Competition Terms & Conditions
Please read these competition rules carefully. By entering a NB competition you are confirming that you have read these rules and that you agree to them.
- To enter a competition you must be: (a) resident in the UK or the Republic or Ireland; and (b) 18 years old or over at the time of entry.
- Competitions are not open to employees (or members of their immediate families) of AMS Digital Publishing Limited.
- No purchase necessary.
- Only one entry per person.
- If you want to enter a competition you must enter via the website on the applicable competition page.
- The closing date for this competition is October 31st, and NB reserves the right to amend the competition end date at any time.
- If you win a competition, we will notify you by e-mail. The judges’ decision will be final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
- You can find out who has won a particular competition by sending a stamped addressed envelope, marked with the name of the competition to AMS Digital Publishing, Studio 10, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK after the closing date.
- By entering the competition the winner agrees to participate in such promotional activity and material as NB may require.
- The panel of judges for each competition (if applicable) will be comprised of members of the NB editorial team.
- The prize will not be transferable to another person.
- No part of a prize is exchangeable for cash or any other prize.
- If an advertised prize is not available, we reserve the right to offer an alternative prize of equal or greater value.
- Incorrectly completed entries will be disqualified.
- This competition is being run by AMS Digital Publishing Limited, whose registered office address is Studio 10, Glove Factory Studios, Brook Lane, Holt, Wilts, BA14 6RL, UK.
- NB reserves the right to amend these rules at any time.
- NB will endeavour to send prizes within a month of the competition end date but cannot guarantee this delivery time.
Love Free Books?
Why not subscribe to our magazine?
Each issue we recommend four books that we think you will love. We give you a thorough introduction with interviews, reviews and exclusive extracts and, most excitingly, these books are available to all UK subscribers to have for FREE! All we ask is you pay the postage and package.